The Modern Cafe - Modern Fish Cakes
- 1 pound chopped salmon
- 1/2 pound chopped haddock
- 2 bell peppers, any color that are hot or not from a local garden
- 1 cup stale bread, which has been soaked in enough cream to make it a thick paste
- 1/4 cup chopped dill, or any fresh herb that you enjoy
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 lemons, finely zested
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced young and tender celery stalk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Semolina or fine bread crumbs, for coating
- Olive oil, for frying
- Chef's Note: You may add just about anything else that makes you happy. It should feel like it's going to stick together like a hamburger or meatloaf. If needed add another egg or a little more bread.
Combine the above ingredients, except the bread crumbs and olive oil, in a bowl and form patties that are 1-inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Lightly coat in semolina or fine bread crumbs and fry in butter or olive oil on medium heat for four minutes on each side. It is extremely important to take any liberties that you deem necessary or that will please your friends and family. We were serving ours with a ginger and beet puree and some beautiful watercress dressed in lemon oil. You may do as you please. A green salad and sweet corn salsa, French fries and green olive tartar, rose or beer.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Phillip Becht, chef at The Modern Cafe in Minneapolis, MN.