Trata Piato with Tzatziki
- Tzatziki dip:
- 1 English cucumber (peeled, seeded, and finely diced or shredded on box grater)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or (fresh optional)
- Pinch white pepper
- 2 cups Greek yogurt (recommended: Fage or any other similar thick yogurt)
- Zucchini and eggplant chips:
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 Holland eggplants (smaller is more tender), sliced into thin rounds
- 2 green zucchini, (smaller is more tender), sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
DirectionsFor the Tzatziki:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well using a rubber spatula. Chill before serving, garnishing with more olive oil on top, if desired.
For the zucchini and eggplant chips:
Heat oil in a deep-sided pan to 375 degrees F.
Dredge the eggplant and zucchini rounds in the flour, coating well. Shake off excess flour and set aside. Taking a few rounds at a time, dip in cold water, and immediately put into hot oil (oil may splatter). Cook until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil using slotted spoon, and put into stainless steel bowl. While tossing continuously in the bowl, sprinkle with salt and oregano, to taste. Serve with the Tzatziki.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Trata Estiatorio in The Hamptons