Anita's Cheater Beans
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 medium onion, finely diced
- Two 27-ounce cans pinto beans
- 2 serrano peppers, scored
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro (don't use the stems and don't chop, just snip or pinch off the leaves)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large saucepan, fry the bacon over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the onions and cook until the bacon is cooked but not crisp and the onions are translucent, another couple of minutes. Do not drain the bacon grease because it gives the beans a good taste. Add the beans, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and 1 1/2 cups water, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add some salt and pepper and the cilantro and remove from the heat.
Recipe courtesy of Trisha Yearwood