Cordelia's Roast Beef
- 2 to 3 tablespoons salt
- One 3-pound eye of round beef roast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Two 10-ounce cans French onion soup
- One 10-ounce can condensed mushroom soup, such as Campbell's Golden Mushroom
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Rub the salt into the meat very well. Coat the meat with the flour.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven and sear the roast on all sides. Transfer the roast to a platter and scrape the pan to loosen the drippings. Add the French onion and mushroom soups and 3 3/4 cups water to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Return the roast and its juices to the pan, cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 3 hours. Remove the roast to a platter or cutting board to rest.
Slice and serve with the pan gravy.
Adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010