- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces beer, pilsner or ale
- 1 egg yolk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sage or basil leaves
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 1/2 pound calamari, cut into rings
- 1/2 pound fresh white anchovies or sardines, cleaned and filleted
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Put flour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the beer, 1/2 half at a time, whisking to work out any lumps. Add the egg yolk and mix well to combine. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream.
In a wok or deep fat fryer, heat a couple of inches of oil to 375 degrees F. Rinse and dry all ingredients to be fried. Fry the ingredients in the order listed. Coat ingredients with flour, shaking off the excess. Dip in batter and immediately place into hot oil. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook until golden: the herbs will cook quickly, the seafood will take a bit longer. Skim any loose pieces of batter from the oil. Drain on paper towels. Place on a large platter, season with salt and pepper, and squeeze over some lemon wedges. Serve immediately.