- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves, split
- Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Put the potato mixture into a casserole dish, flatten it out with a spatula, and bake for 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the gratin is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chives.