Stone Crab Potstickers
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 pound stone crabmeat
- 24 round wonton wrappers
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 cup water, for steaming
Make the dipping sauce: In a small bowl combine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. Set aside and allow the flavors to develop.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, vinegar, and sesame oil; season it with salt and pepper. Add the ginger, shallot, scallion, and cilantro. Pick over the crab to remove any stray bits of shell and to break up any large pieces. Fold the crab meat into the egg white mixture. Place 1 tablespoon of the crab mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Moisten the edges with water and fold in half to create a half moon shape. Pleat the edges between your fingers, making about 4 or 5 pleats. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
In a medium sized, flat bottom skillet, heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add half the dumplings, pleat side up, and fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown. Carefully add 1/4 cup water to pan, it can splatter. Cover and steam dumplings for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking until most of the water is evaporated. Clean out pan and repeat. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.