- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 pounds carrots, chopped
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 large bunch broccoli (or 2 smaller ones), chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 gallon chopped tomatoes packed in juice
- 3/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose seasoning, such as Spike
- 1/2 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup dried basil
- 1/3 cup garlic powder
- 1/3 cup dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 cups textured vegetable protein, soaked in hot water to reconstitute, then rinsed and drained
- 6 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, crushed red pepper and fennel seeds and cook until very aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots, zucchini, onions, broccoli and celery and saute until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 8 cups water, chili powder, all-purpose seasoning, onion powder, basil, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper and stir to combine. Stir in the textured vegetable protein, then the beans. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if need. Serve hot.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.