Winter Salad with Toasted Mustard Seed Vinaigrette
- 1 large fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise)
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large head romaine (2 pounds), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large head frisee (1 pound), torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 Belgian endives, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide slices
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
Trim fennel stalks flush with bulbs and discard stalks. Quarter bulbs lengthwise and cut out most of cores, leaving enough to keep pieces intact. Cut quarters lengthwise into thin slices.
Toast mustard seeds in a dry small heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mustard seeds begin to pop and turn 1 shade darker, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
Toss together fennel, romaine, frisee, endives, and parsley in a large bowl. Serve with dressing on side.
Fennel may be trimmed and sliced 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealable plastic bag lined with dampened paper towels.
Dressing may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and season before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.