- 2 ounces peanut oil, plus 2 ounces
- 24 jumbo shrimp
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 green apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped galangal
- 2 bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 4 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 5 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup torn Thai basil leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- Coconut Rice, recipe follows
In a saucepan, add peanut oil and heat. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and saute quickly, just until they start to turn pink, but are not cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the pan to a plate.
Add the garlic, ginger, green onion, lemongrass, apple, galangal, and bananas to the same pan and saute until soft with no color, about 4 minutes. Add cumin and curry powder and saute for 1 minute. Add the lemon, lime, and orange juice along with the tamarind paste, coconut milk, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Strain the sauce and return to the heat. Add the Thai basil and kaffir lime leaves.
Place the shrimp in the sauce and cook until just heated through. Place some rice on each plate. Top the rice with 3 shrimp and surround with the sauce.
Steamed Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- Pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup chiffonade cilantro, Thai basil, or mint leaves
Rinse the rice 2 or 3 times and drain well. Set up a bamboo steamer on the stove. Place the rice in a metal bowl and fill with boiling water until the water is 1/2 inch above the rice. Place the bowl in the steamer and steam until tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked rice from the steamer and cool slightly. To the slightly cooled rice, add the butter, orange zest, cumin, and coconut. Stir until well mixed and add the saffron. Before serving, stir in the cilantro.