Yellow Split Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- Salt and white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 cups chicken stock (or combination water and stock)
- 2 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ham hock (optional)
- Dark bread croutons, for garnish
- Brown mustard
Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook onion, celery and carrots with salt and pepper until onion is soft, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the turmeric, stock, peas, potatoes, and ham hock, and simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Remove the ham hock. Puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to clean pot, and adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately in flat soup dishes with wide (3-inch) rims, garnished with dark bread croutons. Place brown mustard on the rims of the bowls, and take a little mustard with each spoonful of soup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.