Zydeco's 5 BBQ Shrimp
- 1 pound butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid crab boil, such as Zatarain's
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaf
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 6 large shrimp (U12), with heads and shells on
Take the butter, cut into thirds, and melt in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Next, add the green onions, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil, cayenne, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and 5 to 6 shakes hot sauce. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze the juice in and then drop the lemon halves into the pan. Bring to a boil, but there should be no smoke. Add the shrimp in flat rows on top. Cook until pink, about 2 minutes per side. Pour everything onto a plate and serve.
Cook's Note: Top of the shrimp head should NOT have a red spot, the shrimp should be completely grey, and the fresher the better. Good to let everything soak for a bit, but don't overcook because the shrimp will have a rubber-like texture. You want to cook it with the head and shell on.
This recipe was provided by a professional chef or restaurant and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.