Zydeco's 5 BBQ Shrimp
- 1 pound butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid crab boil, such as Zatarain's
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaf
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 6 large shrimp (U12), with heads and shells on
Take the butter, cut into thirds, and melt in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Next, add the green onions, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil, cayenne, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and 5 to 6 shakes hot sauce. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze the juice in and then drop the lemon halves into the pan. Bring to a boil, but there should be no smoke. Add the shrimp in flat rows on top. Cook until pink, about 2 minutes per side. Pour everything onto a plate and serve.
Cook's Note: Top of the shrimp head should NOT have a red spot, the shrimp should be completely grey, and the fresher the better. Good to let everything soak for a bit, but don't overcook because the shrimp will have a rubber-like texture. You want to cook it with the head and shell on.
This recipe was provided by a professional chef or restaurant and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Carter Hutchinson, Zydeco's 5