1. Fondue Rub a small pot with garlic; add 1 cup white wine and simmer. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with a splash of cognac, then 1/4 pound each gruyère and emmentaler cheese; add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve hot with apples and bread.
2. Tahini Dip Puree 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons ground cumin and 1 minced garlic clove. Drizzle in 1/2 cup hot water; puree until smooth.
3. Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 cup hot water.
4. Red Pepper Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup roasted red peppers and
1/2 cup hot water.
5. Fried-Chickpea Hummus Make Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1/2 can chickpeas. Microwave until warm. Fry the other 1/2 can chickpeas in olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Top the hummus with the fried chickpeas, red pepper flakes and chopped parsley.
6. Edamame Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2). Puree with a 16-ounce bag thawed shelled edamame and 1/3 cup olive oil; add enough water until smooth.
7. Charred-Tomato Salsa Broil 2 tomatoes until charred, then cool and core. Pulse in a food processor with 1 minced jalapeño, 1 scallion, 1 garlic clove and 1 tablespoon fresh mint. Season with salt.
8. Deviled Dip Puree 8 hard-boiled eggs with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 chopped pickle, a dash of hot sauce, and paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chives.
9. Pimiento-Cheese Dip Mix 1/2 pound each grated cheddar and pepper jack, 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream and 2 tablespoons diced pimientos. Season with hot sauce and onion and garlic powders.
10. Eggplant Caviar Roast 1 eggplant at 400 degrees until tender, 45 minutes, then peel and chop. Mix with 2 tablespoons each olive oil and parsley, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 chopped garlic clove, and salt and pepper.