Apple Cranberry Bread Pudding
- 4 1/2 cups cubed challah bread
- 3 cups peeled and diced Fuji apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups half-and-half*
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, recipe follows
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 by 13-inch baking dish with room temperature butter.
Place cubed challah in the baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine diced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar and cranberries. Pour over bread.
In a large bowl, whisk together half-and-half, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Pour custard over bread. Allow to saturate for a few minutes.
Bake for 40 minutes until pudding sets. Serve with whipped cream.Whipped Cream:
Place a medium bowl in the freezer for 1 hour before whipping cream.
Add heavy cream to chilled bowl and whip with a hand mixer. Add liqueur and powdered sugar and combine well.
*Cook's Note: this is the correct amount.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.