Apple Cranberry Bread Pudding
- 4 1/2 cups cubed challah bread
- 3 cups peeled and diced Fuji apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups half-and-half*
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, recipe follows
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 by 13-inch baking dish with room temperature butter.
Place cubed challah in the baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine diced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar and cranberries. Pour over bread.
In a large bowl, whisk together half-and-half, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Pour custard over bread. Allow to saturate for a few minutes.
Bake for 40 minutes until pudding sets. Serve with whipped cream.Whipped Cream:
Place a medium bowl in the freezer for 1 hour before whipping cream.
Add heavy cream to chilled bowl and whip with a hand mixer. Add liqueur and powdered sugar and combine well.
*Cook's Note: this is the correct amount.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.
Granny Smith Apples and Ginger Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise and Creme Fraiche Whipped Cream
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay