For the aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Frank's or Pete's)
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- Freshly ground pepper
For the sandwiches:
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices country-style white, wheat or rye bread, lightly toasted
- 16 strips good-quality thick-cut bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce
Make the aioli: Combine the mayonnaise, blue cheese, hot sauce, garlic, and pepper to taste in a small bowl and stir well.
Make the sandwiches: Lay 4 slices of bread on a cutting board. Spread 2 to 3 teaspoons or so of the aioli on each slice, then top each with 8 half-pieces of bacon, a few slices of tomato, some red onion and a single piece of lettuce. Top each with another slice of bread. Slice the sandwiches in half.
Photograph by Kang Kim