Chicken Skewers with Peanut-Ginger Marinade
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 orange, zested (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- Oil, for grill grate
- Skewers (soaked in water for 20 minutes if wooden)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped roasted, salted peanuts, for serving
In a large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, orange zest, peanut butter, sugar, soy, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes until smooth and evenly combined. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture to serve as a dipping sauce. Put the marinade in a resalable plastic bag, add the chicken, seal the bag and turn to coat evenly. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Heat a grill to medium heat, (350 degrees F), and rub the grate with a towel dipped in oil. Thread 1 to 2 chicken tenders on each skewer. Grill the chicken until thoroughly cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts. Serve hot or at room temperature with the reserved peanut sauce.