Albondigas Estilo Mama Meatballs Like Mama Makes
Whenever my mother comes to visit, I always ask her to make me these albondigas. I have tried to serve them at the restaurant but people[ can't seem to get excited about meatballs. Too bad! It's a fabulous soup. My mother always served it with freshly made corn tortillas, salsa casera and refried beans with asadero. Meatballs freeze well and reheat wonderfully.]
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 1 hr
- 40 min
- about 45 small meatballs
- 1/4 cup masa harina mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts fresh homemade beef or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, both the white and the green parts
- 1 large tomato, roasted, peeled and chopped (If you are unable to find truly ripe tomatoes, add 4
- tablespoons canned tomato sauce.)
- 2 Anaheim or California long green chiles or jalapenos, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, leaves only
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, leaves only
Combine masa harina with warm water. Mix ground meat with prepared masa, salt, pepper, garlic. Make meatballs about 1-inch round, about the size of a walnut. Set aside.
In medium saute pan heat 2 tablespoons lard or oil over medium heat. Add 1 whole garlic clove. Let cook for 20 seconds, press with back of a cooking spoon to release the flavor. Remove the garlic. Set aside.
Brown the flour in the lard until dark golden color, about 1 minute. Heat stock in soup pot or large Dutch oven until warm and add flour mixture. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer stock for 5 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil in large frying pan, add chopped scallion, tomato, chiles and the reserved 2 garlic cloves, minced, stir well to combine. Cook for 2 minutes and add to stock. Add cilantro and mint and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the stock and simmer over low fire for 15 minutes or until done.