Dad's Spare Ribs
- 3 pounds pork spare ribs, on the bone, cut into 1 1/2 by 1 1/2-inch to 1 1/2 by 2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Coarsely cracked black pepper, for sprinkling
Place the spare ribs, cider vinegar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add 2/3 cup water and stir to combine. Place the spare ribs and the liquid in a large pot over low heat. Cover the pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the meat begins to come apart from the bone, about 40 minutes.
Remove the spare ribs from the pot using a slotted spoon. Increase the heat to high and let the sauce reduce until it looks glazy, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the honey and sprinkle with pepper and let the sauce simmer, about 1 minute. Pour the sauce over the spare ribs and mix to combine. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli