- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pear, ripe but firm, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 red tomatoes, top removed like a "hat", the pulp scooped out and reserved
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 mint leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 whole piece star anise
- 6 generous scoops vanilla ice cream
In a medium skillet, heat sugar with water. Heat until it melts and becomes a caramel.
Add the orange juice and the vanilla pod to the caramel and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the star anise and reduce for 8 to 10 minutes.
"Stuff" the insides of the tomatoes with the mixture and top with the "hats". Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes into a baking dish and pour the caramel into the base of the dish.
Place the pan in the oven and cook, basting from time to time, 8 to 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli