Tomato and Watermelon Salad
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 beefsteak (or other large variety) tomatoes, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
- 4 strawberries, hulled, washed and cut into very small pieces
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons superfine (or granulated) sugar
- 6 ounces cold watermelon, rind removed, seeded and cut into bite-size cubes
When it comes time for summer, I can't resist making a salad bursting with ingredients from the local markets. For best results, make the salad without ever refrigerating the tomatoes but with the watermelon cold from the refrigerator. The contrast of temperatures will give the salad an extra fresh taste.
In a bowl, whisk together the balsamic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
Place the tomatoes on a flat surface. Cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into slices. Arrange all of them in a single layer, flesh side up. Season them with salt, black pepper and sugar. Drizzle the tomatoes with the dressing. Toss them with the tarragon and strawberries.
Arrange the tomatoes down the length of 6 rectangular plates. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and top with the watermelon. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.