- 6 cups (about 2 large squash) seeded 2-inch wide chunks butternut squash
- Melted butter, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper. On a sheet pan lay the squash flesh side up. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is nice and soft.
Scoop the flesh from the skin into a pot and add the stock, honey, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree using a stick blender. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown