- 6 cups German light ale
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 large onions, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 2 whole cloves garlic, smashed
- One 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 pounds precooked bratwurst, pricked with a fork
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the grill for direct grilling, high heat.
Combine the beer, caraway, coriander, mustard seeds, onions, garlic and ginger in a large stockpot. Then, add the bratwurst. Place the pot on the grates of the grill and bring to a simmer. Simmer the sausages until half-cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the grill and let the bratwurst sit in the liquid for 30 minutes. Transfer the brats to a platter or cutting board and strain the liquid into a bowl, discard the solids.
Brush the sausages with canola oil and grill until the casings are crisp and golden brown and the sausages are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Keep warm until serving.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay