- 4 pieces good-quality pita bread, naan, lavash, or Buckwheat Flatbread, recipe follows
- White Bean Hummus, recipe follows
- Caramelized Onions, recipe follows
- 1 cup nicoise olives, pitted and halved
- Spanish white anchovies
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
Spread each flatbread with some of the hummus, then top with the caramelized onions, olives, and anchovies. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves. Cut into wedges and serve.
- 1/2-ounce fresh yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water, at room temperature
- 8 ounces bread flour, plus more if needed
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- All-purpose flour, for dusting and rolling
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast, sugar, and water. Mix for 1 minute on low speed and let stand until the mixture just begins to bubble. Attach the dough hook and add both flours and the salt to the yeast mixture. Mix until it forms a mass; the dough should be sticky. Continue to add additional flour, if necessary, until the surface is dry enough to handle and dry enough to roll.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces, roll into balls, and lightly brush with oil. Place on a floured surface and cover the balls with plastic wrap and a clean cloth and let proof for 2 hours at room temperature; or, place on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let proof overnight in a refrigerator.
Preheat a grill or preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
To form flatbread, pat each piece of dough out into a 5-inch disk and sprinkle liberally with flour. Roll each disk, on a floured surface, into a 10-inch diameter circle. Puncture the dough liberally with a fork to keep it from rising. Grill or bake each on a pizza stone or a lightly greased sheet pan for about 5 minutes or until dough starts to get crisp on the edges but still remains chewy.
- 3 cups white beans, cooked, or canned, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place beans, garlic, harissa, lemon juice, and tahini in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large Spanish onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
Heat oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar and cook slowly until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the thyme.