Grilled Fig and Stilton Salad with Port Wine Vinaigrette
- Port Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 12 fresh figs
- 4 cups mesclun greens
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces Stilton, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Port wine
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
Place the vinaigrette in a large saute pan and bring to a simmer on the grates of the grill. Add the figs and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Toss the mesclun greens in a large bowl with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large platter and using a slotted spoon, place the figs on top. Sprinkle the salad with the Stilton and drizzle with some of the Port Vinaigrette.Vinaigrette:
Heat grill to high. Heat oil in a medium saucepan on the grates of the grill. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the Port and red wine and cook until thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup.
Transfer reduced wine mixture to a blender and add the molasses, balsamic vinegar, thyme and salt and pepper and blend until combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and walnut oil and blend until emulsified.