- 1 golden pineapple, cored and quartered
- Canola oil
- 3 cups fresh pineapple juice
- 1 habanero chile
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 3 sprigs Thai basil
- 1/4 cup packed light brown muscovado sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- Red Chile oil, recipe follows
Heat grill to high. Brush pineapple with oil and grill until golden brown on all sides.
Put pineapple juice in a medium saucepan over high heat. Make a few slits in the habanero with a paring knife and add to the juice along with the cinnamon sticks, star anise, Thai basil and brown sugar. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 1 cup. Strain and keep warm.
Brush short ribs with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until slightly charred and tender. Plate with pineapple (using 2 quarters of the grilled pineapple) and drizzle with pineapple sauce and red chile oil.
Red Chile Oil:
- 5 guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Heat a large saute pan over high heat until almost smoking. Add the chiles and toast for 30 seconds on each side. Remove, let cool slightly and coarsely chop.
Combine chiles, oil and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Strain into a bowl.
Yield: 3/4 cup