Indian Curry Lamb Skewers with Mint-Grilled Nectarine Chutney with Pita
- Grilled Nectarine-Mint Chutney:
- 4 nectarines, halved and pitted
- Canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chile, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Skewered Lamb Curry with Grilled Pita:
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 -inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch dice
- 6 -inch wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 pita breads, with pockets
DirectionsFor the chutney:
Heat the grill to high.
Brush the nectarines with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the nectarines over and grill until just cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Remove from the grill and coarsely chop.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan on the grates of the grill. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the chile, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens slightly. Stir in the nectarines and cook for 1 minute, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cool, and stir in the raisins, coconut and mint. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
For the skewers:
Heat the grill to high. Combine the coriander, cumin, mustard seeds and black peppercorns in a small skillet on the grates of the grill and grill until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring a few times; transfer to a coffee grinder and process until finely ground and place in a bowl. Add the ancho, turmeric, garlic, ginger, 1/4 cup canola oil and vinegar and whisk until it forms a paste. If the mixture is too dry, add a few tablespoons of water to loosen it to a paste.
Place lamb in a large bowl, add the curry paste and toss to coat each piece of lamb. You can grill immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours to allow the flavors to intensify.
Skewer 2 pieces of lamb onto 2 skewers so that the meat lays flat on the grill. Season both sides of the lamb with salt and grill until golden brown and slightly charred on both sides and cooked to medium-rare doneness, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita bread and chutney.