Jamaican Rice and Peas
- 1 1/2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place beans and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When the beans are tender, stir in the coconut milk, green onions, Scotch bonnet, and thyme, and increase the heat to a boil. Stir in the rice, add some salt and pepper, cover the pot, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Transfer to a large serving bowl, taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed, and garnish with sliced green onions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.