- 1/4 cup smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (21 to 24 count) large shrimp, shell on
- 6 cloves coarsely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion, divided
- Special equipment: wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 25 minutes
Whisk together the paprika, ancho powder, brown sugar, cumin, garlic, canola oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Place the shrimp in a large bowl, add the spice rub and stir well to coat each shrimp.
Heat your grill to high.
Skewer 1/2 the shrimp and place on a grill pan to cook until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in half of the green onions and transfer to a large platter or turnout onto brown paper bags. Wipe out the pan with paper towels, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.