Salmon Chowder with Crab, Whole-Grain Croutons, and Pinot Glaze
- Dungeness Crab Broth:
- 2 shallots, skin on, chopped
- 2 Spanish onions, skin on, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Dungeness crabs (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (5 by 12-inch) untreated cedar planks, soaked in water to cover for at least 1 hour
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound Dungeness crab meat, picked over
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved, brushed with oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and roasted
- Whole-Grain Croutons, recipe follows
- Pinot Glaze, recipe follows
- Whole-Grain Croutons:
- 3 slices whole-grain bread
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinot Glaze:
- 3 cups Pinot Noir
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey
For the crab broth: In a 2 gallon stock pot, saute the shallots and onions in olive oil until soft. Add the crabs and saute for a few minutes. Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes, peppercorns, bay leaf and enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and just barely simmer for 30 minutes, skimming off any impurities. Strain through cheesecloth and discard the solids.
For the salmon: Preheat the oven to 400 to 450 degrees F. Remove the planks from the water and, using tongs, sear over a medium-flame until charred. (Alternatively, place in the oven until charred, about 15 minutes.) Remove and brush the top with oil.
Rub the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salmon to the prepared planks, wrap the planks and salmon with parchment paper, and roast the salmon to medium-rare doneness, about 10 minutes. Remove the salmon to a platter and let rest before flaking with a fork.
For the chowder: Melt the butter in a Dutch oven. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the Dungeness Crab Broth, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced and thickened.
Place the heavy cream in a saucepan and reduce by half. Add the reduced cream to the chowder and heat through. Stir in the thyme and parsley. Fold in the salmon, crab, and potatoes. Ladle the chowder into individual bowls and top with a Whole-Grain Crouton and drizzle with Pinot Glaze.
Cook's Note: Untreated cedar planks are available at hardware stores.Whole-Grain Croutons:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut each slice into thirds and spread with butter. Bake in the oven until toasted and golden.Pinot Glaze:
Bring the wine to a boil over high heat and cook until thickened to a glaze consistency and reduced to about 3/4 cup. Stir in the honey.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.