Scrambled Eggs Chiliquiles with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
- Roasted Tomatillo Sauce:
- 8 tomatillos, washed and halved
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, plus 3/4 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chipotle puree
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup spinach leaves, blanched
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Fried Blue Corn Tortillas:
- 2 cups canola oil
- 12 (6-inch) blue corn tortillas
- Soft scrambled eggs:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- For assembly:
- Sour cream
- 1 cup grated white Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
DirectionsRoasted Tomatillo Sauce:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rub oil on tomatillos, onion and garlic with 3 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan and roast until soft and golden brown about 20 to 25 minutes.
Place tomatillos, onions, garlic, chipotle, lime juice and spinach in a food processor and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the 3/4 cup olive oil and season with honey and salt and pepper. Keep warm in a bain marie.
Fried Blue Corn Tortillas:
Soft scrambled eggs:
Heat the butter over low heat in a large skillet. Add the eggs, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook slowly until soft curds form.
Place a teaspoon of sour cream in 4 large shallow bowls to secure the tortillas. Place a fried tortilla on top of each dab of sour cream. Place some of the eggs and Cheddar on each tortilla and top with another tortilla, repeat and top with another tortilla. Top the tortilla with the remaining eggs and cheese and ladle the warm tomatillo sauce over. Garnish with chopped cilantro.