Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 jalapeno chiles, coarsely chopped
- 2 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- Canola oil
- 1/4 pound steamed snow peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, 8-ounces each
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Steamed brown rice
Heat the grill to high. Place the vinegars, soy sauce, pineapple juice, sugar, jalapeno and ginger in a medium saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin with a little bit of water.
Strain the sauce through a strainer into a bowl. Briefly saute the red and yellow pepper in canola oil and then stir in the sauce along with the snow peas, mint and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Brush the chicken on both sides with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 8 minutes, while also brushing with any remaining glaze. Place the rice on a large plate. Remove the chicken from the grill/ and immediately drizzle with the sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay, 2007