Braised Italian Sausage Stew
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage links, coin sliced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 med. onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 med. carrots, cut into 1" chunks
- 4 small parsnips, cut into 1" chunks
- 8 oz. baby bella or white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1" chunks
- 3 cups chopped swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 28 oz. can Italian plum tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 14 .5 oz. can chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Add sausage links to pan; cook 12 - 14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through.
Remove sausage links to cutting board and allow them to cool before coin slicing. Stir in carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, celery and Swiss chard into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Johnsonville Traditional Italian Sausage Stuffing, Mixed Sausages Braised in Sauerkraut, Hard Cider, Apples and Onions, Braised Wurst Sausages with Cabbage, Red Onion and Apple Slaw, Zabaglione Recipes, Panna Cotta Recipes, Easy Grilling, Easy Lunch, Easy Brunch, Beef Stew Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.