- 2 quarts water
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 1 (15-ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Bring water and chicken to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken, and set aside. Reserve 3 cups broth in Dutch oven. Pour canned lima beans and liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into Dutch oven. Reserve beans. Add tomatoes to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, for 40 minutes or until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Mash reserved beans with a potato masher. Add chicken, mashed and frozen beans, potatoes, and onions to Dutch oven. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 3 hours and 30 minutes. Stir in corn and remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 1 additional hour.
Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Bob Garner; Author North Carolina Barbecue