Brussels Sprouts in Cheese Sauce
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place Brussels sprouts in saucepan with enough water to cover. Add juice. Simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking, until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
Transfer Brussels sprouts to a 1-quart casserole. Pour sauce over top. Bake in for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe courtesy of Family Circle Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica
Recipe courtesy of Katie Lee