Cast Iron Honey Cornbread
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for greasing skillets
- Honey-Butter, recipe follows
- Grilled peaches, for serving
- Honey, for serving
- For the Honey Butter:
- 1/2 stick (or 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat a grill to low heat.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg and butter and stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Use the vegetable oil to coat the insides of 4 (5-inch) square mini cast-iron skillets. Spoon 3/4 cup of the batter into each of the skillets. Set the skillets on the grill and close the lid. Grill until the cornbread is firm and a toothpick inserted into it comes out clean, 12 to 13 minutes.
Remove the cornbread from the grill and baste with the Honey-Butter mixture. Let the cornbread sit for 5 minutes before removing it from the skillets and serving.
Serve each piece of cornbread with 2 grilled peach halves and a drizzle of honey.For the Honey Butter:
Yield: about 1/2 cup
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2007
Cast-Iron Home Fries with Roasted Green Chiles, Cilantro, Green Onions, Radicchio, and Creamy Garlic Dressing
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay