Wine Country Potato Salad, Patatosalata
- 2 pounds medium-sized red potatoes, preferably Red Bliss potatoes, about 20 potatoes
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced into half moons
- 1/4 cup thinly chopped Napa Valley spring onions, about 2, green and white portion
- 24 pitted and halved kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Zinfandel wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Scrub the potatoes, and place in a 6 to 8-quart saucepan. Cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of the salt, place over high heat, and bring the water and potatoes to a rolling boil. Turn down to medium and simmer for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a knife.
While the potatoes are cooking, combine the onions, spring onions, olives, dill, and oregano in a medium sized salad bowl. Put aside. When the potatoes are done, drain well in a colander, and allow to cool slightly. Cut the potatoes into quarters and add them to the salad bowl with the onions, olives, and herbs.
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix well. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.