Chat n' Chew Macaroni Cheese
- 1/2 pound butter, plus extra for the baking dish
- 1 1/4 pounds elbow macaroni
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 small (1/4 to 1/3 pound) onion, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 5 cups (1 1/4 pounds) shredded sharp cheddar
- 8 slices American cheese, broken into small pieces
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons green hot chile sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 by 13 by 4-inch baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the cream and milk.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 1/2 pound of butter and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the cream mixture in a steady stream and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in 4 cups of the cheddar, the American cheese, 1 cup of the grated Parmesan, the hot pepper sauce, and cumin. Stir until all the cheese has melted; the sauce will be very thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake uncovered on the middle shelf for about 20 minutes, until bubbling and brown on top.