- 4 (12-ounce) chicken breasts or 4 half-chickens
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato, concasse
- 2 tablespoons minced marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 red bell peppers, both roasted, peeled, cored, seeded, and 1 cut into 1 inch by 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Napkin Dumplings, recipe follows
- Servietten Knudel (Napkin Dumpling):
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 loaf white bread, crust trimmed
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
Cut each chicken breast into 3 pieces. Season with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of paprika. Lightly coat with flour. In a braising pan, heat peanut oil. Sear chicken pieces until brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a tray.
Add onions to the pan and saute for 5 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic and cumin seeds. Cook 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste, tomato, and remaining 2 tablespoons of paprika. Stir until well blended. Add the marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Deglaze with the vinegar and wine. Add chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the reserved chicken pieces and cover with a piece of vented parchment paper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add cream and continue to simmer another 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
Transfer chicken to a saute pan. Pour sauce and 1 roasted pepper in a blender. Process to a puree. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour sauce over chicken. Reheat until warm. Garnish with pepper strips, minced parsley and creme fraiche.Servietten Knudel (Napkin Dumpling):
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
In a saute pan, over medium high heat, melt the butter. Cook the garlic and onions until translucent. Do not allow to develop color.
Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a baking sheet and bake in the oven to dry, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to develop color. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the onion mixture all over the bread. Add the thyme, chives, parsley and flour. Toss to evenly distribute the herbs with the bread and flour.
In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk. Add to the bread mixture. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
Prepare a steamer. Add wrapped dumplings to the steamer and steam for about 20 minutes. Remove from the pot and unwrap. Slice into 1-inch disks.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe courtesy of Wolfgang Puck
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray