Black Tie Pasta
- 1 tablespoon basil-infused olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta chunk, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jar artichokes hearts in marinade, drained, coarsely chopped, marinade liquid reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound black fettuccine pasta
Pour the oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pancetta and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and set aside. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and saute, stirring, about 3 minutes.
Add the pasta, 2 tablespoons of the artichoke marinade and half the pancetta to the pan (if the pasta seems dry, add a little bit of the cooking liquid). Season with salt and pepper and toss until combined and heated through. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with the remaining pancetta and a drizzle of olive oil.
BYOC: This dish would also be fantastic with some sauteed calamari on top and would look beautiful. The contrast of the black and white would knock your guest's socks off.
Recipe courtesy Claire Robinson, 2011