- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra for oiling rack
- 5 pounds chicken wings, split, wing tips cut off and discarded
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup hot pepper jelly (recommended: Stonewall Kitchens)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (recommended: Frank's)
Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil, place a rack on top of the pan and oil the rack.
Toss the wings with the 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the wings on the rack in 1 layer. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat, turning over once, until barely cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a small saucepan over moderate heat, whisk the hot pepper jelly, lime juice and hot sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Brush 1/4 cup sauce on the cooked wings and broil 1 to 2 minutes. Brush the wings with 1/4 cup sauce again, and then turn the wings over and brush with another 1/4 cup sauce. Broil until crispy about, 2 to 3 minutes. Brush with the remaining sauce before serving.