- 1/4 cup basil flavored olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and liquid reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 to 8 celery stalks cut lengthwise into thin strips, about 1/4-inch by 6-inches long
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until very soft, but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and 1/4 cup reserved liquid from the can and season well with salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and continue cooking until beans begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly and transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree, drizzling in more reserved liquid, if needed, until it is the consistency of thick hummus. Taste and adjust seasoning.
To serve, stand the celery stalks upright in the dip. (Choose a container that's small enough with high sides to allow the celery to stand upright).