White balsamic vinegar is sweeter than regular but still has an acidic bite. By simmering it until it's thick and syrup-like, it becomes concentrated in both tartness and sweetness. All you need to do is drizzle it over the salad -- no dressing required! If you are craving cheese, add some crumbled goat cheese over the top. It will add a creamy touch and is great with sweet strawberries and crunchy almonds.
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 large fennel bulb with fronds
- 3 ounces (about 4 cups) baby arugula
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered lengthwise
Remove the feathery fronds from the fennel bulb and chop. Remove the core from the fennel and, using a mandoline slicer or a knife, shave the fennel into very thin slices. Add to a salad bowl along with the arugula and almonds. Drizzle the reduced vinegar over the greens, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss until coated. Sprinkle the strawberries and chopped reserved fennel fronds over the top and serve immediately.