Cranberry Up-Side Down Cake
- 3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, plus 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 pound cranberries, rinsed, picked over, and patted dry
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon minced orange rind
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup red currant jelly
- Sweetened whipped cream, as accompaniment, if desired
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl with the mixer cream together the remaining 6 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, and orange rind and beat the mixture until well combined.
Into another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, alternately with the milk until it is combined. Pour the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top. Bake the cake on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Transfer the cake to a rack and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Run a thin knife around the inside of the pan and invert the cake stand.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine