Creamy Green Chile Soup
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, divided
- 3 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, divided (recommended: Ortega)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup Mexican crema (recommended: Caciqus)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Crumbled cotija cheese, for garnish
Meanwhile, melt butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining corn and green chiles. Add mushrooms and saute for 10 minutes, or until water from mushrooms is released and evaporated; set aside.
Transfer chile mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth, working in batches if necessary. *(TIP: Cover blender with dish towel and pulse.) Return puree to skillet and add sauteed vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and stir in Mexican crema. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray