- 3 heads Romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Greek vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 12 pepperoncini
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- Saganaki, recipe follows
Put all the romaine into a large mixing bowl. Add half of the tomatoes, kalamatas and cucumbers and toss to combine. Put the salad into a large decorative bowl, toss with 1 cup of the vinaigrette and garnish with the remaining tomatoes, cucumbers, pepperoncini, kalamatas, and red onion. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette and Saganaki on the side.
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Put the shallot into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well chopped. Add the lemon juice, feta, oregano, salt and pepper and pulse again to combine. With the processor running, add the oil in a steady stream. Pour into a small pitcher and set aside.
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 pound kasseri cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 lemon, juiced
Preheat the broiler.
Put the kasseri slices onto a baking sheet and brush with the melted butter. Place under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, douse with the brandy and ignite. Let the flame die down, sprinkle with lemon juice, transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.