- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups dry broken-up white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, hydrated in warm water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, slightly toasted
- 1 cup vegetable oil
In a heated skillet add olive oil and onions. Slightly cook them for about 5 minutes (we want the onions softened not colored). Place into a bowl and let cool.
Take the 2 cups of broken up bread and place into a bowl with the milk. Let the bread soak for 5 minutes. Squeeze and drain the bread then place it into a large mixing bowl. Add the turkey meat, beaten eggs, chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, golden raisins and toasted pine nuts.
Fold all ingredients together. Do not over work the turkey meat.
In your hands scoop up a two-finger portion of the turkey mixture and with the palm of your hands shape the balls a little larger than a golf ball. As you make the balls add them to the baking tray with the flour and roll them until evenly coated.
Carefully add the meatballs to the oil and brown for about 6 minutes. Transfer turkey meatballs to a plate and set aside for bean soup. Pour excess oil into a bowl.
Danny Boome, Ltd 2008