Everyone goes crazy for these potatoes and I can't blame them. They're creamy and rich but the fresh herbs give them a really fresh taste. I really love the color and texture that the skins from the potatoes give the mash, and it also means less work because you get to skip the peeling!
- 2 pounds red-skinned new potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- A small handful chopped fresh chives (about 3 tablespoons)
- A small handful roughly chopped basil leaves (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and pour in enough cold water to cover them by a couple of inches. Toss in a handful of salt. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender when poked with a knife, about 25 minutes.
Add chives and basil to the pot with the potatoes and mash the potatoes coarsely. Season with salt and pepper.