- 2 heads broccoli, trimmed into florets and steamed for 4 to 5 minutes
Sweet Spicy and Tangy:
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 long strips lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
Divide the cooked broccoli into 2 serving bowls.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar, and chili flakes until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook briefly until beginning to turn golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the vinegar mixture and salt and simmer 2 minutes longer.
Pour dressing over half the broccoli florets and serve immediately.
Hot Lemon Garlic Oil:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and thinly sliced
2 long, wide strips lemon peel
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and about 10 grinds freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil, garlic, and lemon peel over medium heat and let sizzle gently for a few minutes until garlic is lightly browned. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper and heat for another minute. Pour dressing over half the broccoli florets and serve immediately.