Pan-grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Ricotta, Arugula and Balsamic
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 red onions, sliced into 14/-inch rounds
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 baguettes
- 1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, dried and stems discarded
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
Brush large grill pan with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat.
Before grilling, toss veggies with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Grill vegetables in batches until nicely colored and soft, about 6 to 8 minutes per batch.
Cut bread into 6-inch pieces. Cut pieces lengthwise but don't go all the way through.
Spread a thick layer of ricotta on the bottom half of the bread. Sprinkle with salt.
Toss arugula with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Place dressed arugula on top of ricotta layer. Then add the generous amounts of the different grilled vegetables.
Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro