- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter, sliced
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 store-bought pound cake, cut into 6 to 8 thick slices
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- Shredded coconut, toasted, and/or peanuts, for garnish (optional)
Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 50 percent power for 2 minutes; stir, then microwave at 30-second intervals until completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and 1 3/4 cups sugar until smooth. Microwave the mixture on full power for 5 minutes, stopping to whisk occasionally. (Don't worry if the mixture looks grainy; continue to cook and whisk until smooth.) Add 1 cup half-and-half and microwave on full power until smooth and slightly fudgy, 2 minutes. Transfer to a thermos to keep warm.
Fold the remaining 2 tablespoons half-and-half and 2 tablespoons sugar into the mascarpone in a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
Preheat a grill to medium. Brush the cake slices lightly with oil and grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Brush the pineapple lightly with oil and grill until marked, about 1 minute per side.
Top the cake with pineapple, a scoop of mascarpone cream and hot fudge. Garnish with coconut and/or nuts, if desired.
Photograph by Rick Lew
Thank you! your flag was submitted.